KIN's Music

Monday, August 30, 2010

The Last..

Everything has a beginning and an end. Life and drama so, the career is also true. Of course, this semester has no exception. Soon, this semester is coming to an end. As usual, I took 6 subjects for this semester. Before I did the course selection, I realized that in the list there is a subject named “Theories of Architecture” which sounds not quite familiar to me. Soon I got inform from my senior that the Sem 4 seniors will be having this subject with Sem 3 students. Honestly, I wonder what this subject is before the semester starts. But somehow, I can’t really get what it is. So I gave up finding the answer due to laziness. Hehe…

For this subject “Theories of Architecture”, it is hard to tell that what I had learnt in this class because what I learned and earned is too abstract which I can hardly describe it in words. The word “feeling” will definitely express my gain.

From the first blog which is introducing myself, I didn’t feel any unfamiliar because I am a blogger and I like to blog. Just like what Tun Dr. Mahathir said, blog is to unblock. I can write anything in a blog to express myself. This is the reason why I like to blog. By the way, it is one of the ways to destress myself too. So I think I had done my best to express myself to introduce myself to lecturer in that post entry.

In the second blog, it was a film review for the movie “Minority Report”. For me, I am quite interested in movies and writing reviews but I used to write it in chinese and this is the first time using English to write the review. Somehow I will feel some not get used to it. However, I had tried my best to write the film review based on what I feel from that movie. Hope that it will fully convey the feeling I had.

The third blog about understands the place which confused me a lot. The article has couple of pages which drove me to crazy. I can hardly understand even though I read for few times. I know that philosophy is a wide field which it can have any thoughts or idea without limitation but the way of the author wrote that article really makes me confused n keep on Huh? huH? HuH? Maybe my English standard is still abit low. Somehow, I did my best to interpret and show my understanding about the article. The extra is I start to think of what is a place and space? How these two words define? Yaya, philosophy makes people to think, so I think I get something from there.

Heidegger’s thinking on architecture taught me a lesson on reasons. The existence of an object has its own reasons which mean the same to our design. Everything we design need to have a proper reason which makes sense. This will absolutely lead to do a mature design or even handling problems in the future. Although I did not quite understand the article, I roughly know what its mean and how it goes.

The home that makes MIES” is a article which I can understand more than 50%. Quite happy to do that. Through this, I studied myself deeper and discovered what changes me and what shapes me. it is true that there is a saying “Father of the man”. What I experienced during childhood will shape the adult me. and who does this? The environment and mainly the home and family did it.

The sixth blog is the Monuments, Testimony and Memory, it taught me a lesson about the purpose of the particular design and the ways of expression due to the intention. Together with that, it also needs to show out the feeling of the purpose. For an example, the purpose of shading devices is to give shape to the building. And how the devices form is based to the design purpose, needs and criteria.



The seven senses of architecture really brought me deeper to architecture field. Commonly it is only five senses, but in this article, it introduced the two extra senses which is new to me. By using these seven senses, I can feel the architecture concretely and more thoroughly. At the same time, I also applied these senses in my design which I can feel inside the space in my design and makes my design more mature.

About the Kellie’s Castle, it is a waste that I didn’t travel with course mates to there. But somehow I got a different experience during the personal trip with two of my friends. The building actually surprised me and impressed me although the maintenance and management is abit lousy. The lessons I got from the trip is the designer was so wise in making decision through the design of the castle which is the appreciation of the site and the climate in Malaysia. It means a lot to me because in design projects, the first thing I had to do is to appreciate the site and make use of them which is a nice to play with.

For the last blog about Desire, it actually shows the charm of architecture. It showed that how architecture attracts people and how architecture impresses people. On the other hand, it also expresses how people are willing to experience the architecture and how enjoy the people do in the architecture. All this things told me that people appreciate the architecture and architecture appreciates people too. Maybe my words of using in the blog is kind of weird, but all of that are my real feeling and thoughts when I read that article. Hope my lecturer won’t laugh at me.

Start of semester 3, I had fully experienced how a proper design process is going on. How important is the little small thing that will affect to the overall design, how big is the responsibility of an architect to a building design, how much knowledge an architect should have in mind to produce a good design due to the construction and etc. before that, I had already know an architect should have the big responsibility on his shoulders but till now I only realized how heavy it is. Although it is tough and sleepless nights going on, I have the confidence to put in on my shoulder as I know clearly what is in my mind. For me, the best moment is this as I gain for what I had paid for. It is true for that saying “No pain, no gain.”

And yet, throughout this semester, there are a lot of things that makes me to be more mature. The original human nature can be so realistic, or I would say the word “horrible” can describe it alternatively. I am not taking this as my worst moment but somehow it woke me up that wonderland doesn’t exist in reality. As our aging, the more we will discover and realize, I won’t complain this as my worst moment too but I will take it as my personal experience. However, the time will tell the truth and the fact as well because I believe there is fair mind in this world. It is not a big deal because my aim is clear. It is just right in front of me and I m the one who is going to succeed my aim.

My personal philosophy is to do things above board, be an open and aboveboard man, and the last is look forward to the future in everything. So that others will respect as u respect them too at the same time. It applied the same to architectural life as an architecture student has. Respect the architecture so that the architecture will respect you as what you did to them. For me, respect is an important element in my whole life. There is a Chinese phrase which used to be my philosophy that interprets well, “敬人者,得人敬之;尊人者,得人尊之。As a to-be-architect, I have to have wise vision to the future architecture which benefits the world, the people and the environment.

As a conclusion, I would like to thank to Ms. Sukhjit Kaur Sidhu and Ms. Hajjah Shahrianne Mohamad Shah who lead me to think philosophically in a different way that inspires me a lot. With this kind of thinking, I can push myself up to another level so that I can be nearer to my aim. Thanks a lot to my dearest lecturer. Yet, I sincerely apologized to my lecturers about the disturbance I caused.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment